North & Cochetopa

FILTER RIDE REPORTS:
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Peter
    Participant

I know last minute, but just checking to see if anyone else wants to capture North and Cochetopa Passes tomorrow morning (Sun 5/19/19). The weather looks like its gonna be clear enough and the roads are open. Dave, Hillary, Matt, Shannon and I are headed there early tomorrow morn, so if you can/want to join let us know. We will ride both road bikes and mountain bikes for this Quest.

Peter
    Participant

So we conquered these two passes this past Sunday and it was….Cold, a little windy and a bit of mud still left up on Cochetopa. But it was awesome. We started outside of Saguache on Hwy 114 with a longish lead into the climb of North. The shoulder of the road is a little narrow to start but then widens out nicely when you start to climb. Over the top we went and about five miles down to county road 17, made a left on to the dirt heading for county road 14 and Cochetopa. The road was is such good condition that we stayed on our road bikes all the way to the top of Cochetopa. At the top the dirt road turned into a bit of mush this time of year so we swapped over to our Mountain bikes for the descent all the way back down to Hwy 114 for an awesome loop.

The descent down off Cochetopa was one of the most beautiful places I have seen. It is well worth getting to these two passes and I would say they would be good in either direction.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.